Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Last post in China

Well folks, this is my last post in China. We leave tomorrow for Canada. I am not looking forward to the 13+ hour flight, but am really anxious to get home to our friends and family... especially Gracie.

Today we went to the Temple of Heaven. It was really nice walking through the park, however the locals gathered around us in droves. The girls were treated like celebrities. It was really uncomfortable at times because the locals talked to us frantically in Chinese. Of course we did not understand a word they were saying. I think one lady was yelling at me because she thought Maggie's coat was too tight, and another lady was yelling while pointing to Maggie's eyes. I assume she thought Maggie should be wearing sun glasses. For the most part though, I think they were just glad to see that the girls were being adopted and that they will have a fighting chance at a good life. It's just that we do not speak the same language so it was near impossible (and sometimes scary) to communicate.

This evening, Freda's company took us out to a "Happy New Family" dinner at the Peking Duck. The restaurant was beautiful... but the food was horrible. I think it was the worse food we ate (or attempted to eat) since we have been here. I can't wait to get back to eating normal food. Living off snack type food is not doing great things to our bodies!

I have been a little sick since yesterday. It appears I may have a chest infection. It is odd though... nothing in my head or sinuses, just my chest and lungs. A few of my travelmates are experiencing the same thing. I have a feeling that it is because of the polution. The polution in China is unreal.... there is a constant smog over the land. You can feel it the minute you arrive. It has to affect the health of the locals.... Anyway I hope it passes quickly, because I can't be sick when we see our Gracie Little Bit! Just two more days and we will all be together as a family.

It will be Thursday night before I will be able to post again... as we will be on route to Canada. Wish us luck on the terribly long and difficult fight!!!

Here are a few pictures from today. Lots of love from China (finally the last time I will have to say... from China!!).

The Temple of Heaven.... Moms and daughters....
Dads and daughters....Three Newfoundland sleeping beauties... Mia, Tasha and Maggie...
Yummy Peking Duck - NOT!!!

Freda arranged for a cake for the families. It was a very nice gesture. She is such a wonderful person. She has a huge heart!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lisa,

It sounds like quite an overwhelming experience all around. I'm sure the journey was well worth it. Hopefully you will all be able to get a little bit of sleep on the plane and when you get to Toronto, you can get some well deserved rest.

Can't wait to see you all on Friday.

Kelly (Cathy's sister)

The Robertsons said...

Hi Lisa,
Sorry to hear you didn;t enjoy the Peking Duck- our group thought it was great. As for the flight, don;t anticipate the worse- Maggie might just surprise you. Despite having a fever of 103 and not sleeping more than an hour, Kimberly was very pleasant and Hannah kept herself occupied. Only two girls in our group had a really rough time. Enjoy your last few hours in China.

Kathryn

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa,
It's been really nice to hear the excitement in Gracie's voice when she talks of her mom, dad, and sister Maggie, thanks to you. Gracie just loves going into Ruby's office to show her friends the pictures of her family. She just can't wait to see ALL of you.

Can't wait to see you all!!!
Jennifer from daycare

Anonymous said...

Congrats Lisa and Brent on your newest addition to your famly... I am so happy for you guys. Hope to see you soon.

Krista Rusell
Willy

Liz and Ava said...

Lisa and Brent,
You don't know me but I too am adopting a little girl from China. I stumbled upon your pictures on the Childerns Bridge group websites...and the name Bussey caught my eye...I work with Karen Bussey...your cousin Greg's wife in Oshawa, Ont. I am adopting through the waiting child program and was actually hoping I'd get my TA in time to travel with your group...but just received my "letter of confirmation of adopter" this past Monday so hope to travel around April 16/07.
Karen and Greg have been asking me if anyone in your group had set up a blog for your trip so they could follow along...I had checked the CB website but it didn't list your blog...I just now stumbled on it as a link from another blog, your Maggie is just beautiful! I can't wait to call Karen and Greg tomorrow to give them the link to your blog...they will be so excited to see your Maggie!
Congratulations on the new addition to your family!
Liz